*blinks furiously at the passing of time* I just wrote September in Retrospect. How did this happen.
For all of the things I wanted to do this month (from carving pumpkins to getting started on my Christmas shopping to surpassing 200 blog followers), October was so not productive. But that’s okay! It was still a mostly great month.
- Read a few books
- Went to a kids’ Halloween party
- Saw Queens of the Stone Age and Royal Blood live
- Raised over $400 for Puerto Rico
- Went for a 6-mile walk
- (Not great, but…) my great gramps passed away
We had some highs and lows this month.
My mom and I spent a morning seeing a movie (The Mountain Between Us) and getting lunch, which was lovely; we don’t get a lot of one-on-one time, so I think we both savored that day together. I babysat my youngest brother (Macen, 8) that same day, and we had a blast! We went to Target for some craft paper, then Taco Bell for dinner, and then back to my apartment to make cootie catchers.
My aunt’s birthday was… not great. We were going to have a “girls dinner”, the two of us and my granny. However, my great gramps fell that morning, and then he passed away the next night. From bad to worst. There was then a lot of time spent with distant family members — as you do for funerals — and a lot of emotional exhaustion.
As you can imagine, my mental health wasn’t so great at certain points of this month. I would say that I was more at the “apathetic” end of the spectrum, though, which is a bit better than feeling wildly out of control of my emotions. A new side effect that I was dealing with was a low sex drive. So. That was great. I’m feeling a bit better/back to “normal” now, but I’m seriously not a fan of that particular (lack of) feeling.
Jonny, it should be noted, is the absolute best person and partner in the world. While it’s hard to talk about mental health (easier to write, easier still to write about it in hindsight), he makes it a bit easier to open up and share. Whenever I share something about mental health on the blog, it’s usually after I’ve talked it out with Jonny. He’s patient and understanding, and I am the luckiest wife in the universe.
My current reads are Brooding YA Hero and The Crimson Petal and the White; you can see sort of “live blogging” thoughts on both over on Goodreads. I’ve been on a little bit of a reading hiatus (for the past week) because I’ve been busy watching shows and writing blog posts — gotta go with the inspiration when it strikes, you know?
As for shows, I’m currently on season one of Parenthood and season three of New Girl. I watch these when I’m on my own while Jonny’s at work. When Jonny and I are home together, we’re watching The Office (season two) and The Borgias (season three).
October was a fabulous month for autumnal and mental health blog posts. Here’s a roundup of some of my favorites. Be sure to check them out!
- I’m Sorry, I’m Sorry by Tanya (cw: anxiety)
- 20 Signs You’re Becoming an Adult by Haylie
- DIY Potions Bottles by Britt
- Tea of Scarlet by Little Lion
- Read, Watch, Listen: Halloween 2017 Edition by Aentee
- TBR Expansion: Anxiety Representation (cw: anxiety) by Fadwa
- Anxiety & Social Media by Charlotte (cw: anxiety)
- Surpass 200 followers on the blog. (So close!)
- Start my Christmas shopping. (For real. This was supposed to start by now, but I’m obviously way behind. I’ve started gift idea lists, though! I just need the items to be approved by Jonny, and then all of the kids will be done.)
- Send Christmas cards by the end of the month. Send me some Etsy shops!
- Make and freeze some hearty soups/stews. (To be fair, it was hot all through October, so soups weren’t the best idea.)
- Stockpile more posts for Blogmas. IT’S COMING. Do y’all have anything you want to see me write for Blogmas? I could use some pointers/prompts. 🙂
Tell me about your October! Did you celebrate Halloween? Did you dress up? What are you planning on doing in November? I like recommendations of all kinds, so hit me up with: podcasts, Blogmas post ideas, blogger tags, your social media links, books, acoustic artists, other blogs, etc.
Happy November 1st!
You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Goodreads. 💗
NEW: I have a Ko-fi account! I would super appreciate any donations toward
my chai lattes, Jonny’s chocolates, Ella’s cat toys, and Alfred’s crickets. 💑🐱🐸